MAYBE or MAY BE
MAYBE is an adverb that means perhaps
• Maybe it will stop raining soon. = Perhaps it will stop raining soon.
• A: I thought Suzy would be here by now. B: Maybe she forgot.
MAY is a modal verb which indicates possibility.
• He may be lost = It is possible that he is lost
• This may be the best website = This is possibly the best website
After MAY BE we usually have an adjective, a noun or a verb (in ING form)
• He may be crazy. (may be + adjective)
• He may be a genius. (may be + article + noun)
• He may be trying too hard. (may be + verb ING form)
Remember that MAY is similar to MIGHT
• He may be late = He might be late
Maybe you have a better explanation than this…